FrankenFood: Vegetables as "pasta," "rice," and "mashed potatoes."

      My brother-in-law does not believe in any food-related pretense.  Forget "zoodles," zucchini cut to resemble pasta. He calls it "FrankenFood." He wants the real thing or nothing.
      I am ok having an approximation of a favorite food if it will save me regret.
      Recently, I went with several family members to the Angola Prison Rodeo, a fantastic event, and let me tell you, those bulls are huge and they do not play! While walking around the grounds admiring crafts and woodworking immediatly before the events, I was standing near a mother holding a young child, maybe 2 years old. The tiny girl seemed excited to see me (a total stranger), and she wriggled, and pointed to the ground. When her mom let her down, the child ran up to me, patted my stomach, and cooed "Baby!"
      Great. "Child," I thought, "I am 60 years old. That ship has sailed!" I suppose that was my cue. I should lose a few pounds.
      Having to curb calories and carbs, I am grateful there are palatable substitutes. .
       I was never a fan of zucchini. The only way I had ever seen it prepared was sliced and boiled, and served with sliced, boiled yellow squash and boiled cauliflower. It was the mushy, flavorless "vegetable side" in every restaurant I remember as a child.
        Zucchini noodles, though, quickly sauteed, maintain their texture. They are easy enough to make with a vegetable peeler, no special spiraling gizmo necessary. Peel off the dark green skin and discard. Then just peel strips of noodle-shaped zucchini slices down to the seed core. Set aside this core to grill some other time (we like a teriyaki glaze). It may take two zucchini per person to make a serving of "pasta."  Five minutes in a saute pan with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and these veggie noodles are ready to either hold a sauce or stand on their own.
      Cauliflower is another versatile vegetable that can be readily disguised as your favorite starchy side. For me, liking cauliflower was a challenge. I remember coming home from school and having its distinctive aroma hit me as I opened the door. "Oh, man! I'm going to be going to bed hungry!" Cheese sauce was my salvation. You can hide a multitude of sins under a blanket of cheese! Crunchy, raw cauliflower on a veggie tray eventually won me over.
     For "rice," grate raw cauliflower florets either with a box grater or a food processor with a grating attachment. In a microwave safe bowl, steam the "rice" with 2-3 tablespoons water 4 minutes on high. That's all there is to it. I served this with chicken cacciatore one evening and it was a hit! Totally worked as rice.
      Cauliflower also works as "mashed potatoes." Steam cauliflower florets until tender, and squeeze out any excess moisture. In a food processor fitted with a blade attachment,  process the cauliflower with a little butter and cream until it is the texture of mashed potatoes. Don't forget salt and pepper to taste. I serve this with gravy along side meatloaf.  Delicious! For "loaded" or "twice-baked potatoes," stir in any of your favorite add-ins: sour cream (or low fat plain Greek yogurt), bacon bits, and/or grated cheese. Spoon into a casserole dish and bake until golden brown. Garnish with additional grated cheese and chopped green onion. Now, I readily admit that these "extras" are not exactly diet friendly. Moderation is key. This is also a way to ease vegetables onto the plate of a confirmed veggie hater.

Comments

Popular Posts