Cloud Bread

      I went to work last week and two colleagues asked if I was alright. "Your face and eyes are all swollen!" I answered, "Pasta."
       I have started reacting to wheat, not in a "gluten-intolerant" discomfort sort of way, but facial swelling. The offenders include not only pasta, but bread of all kinds, muffins, bagels, pancakes, and waffles. I love bread....but at this stage of life, I have to accept that bread does not love me back.
     One of the newer food crazes is "Chaffles," a waffle made with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Stir the cheese into the beaten egg and bake in a mini waffle iron. The recipe states it makes 2 mini-waffles.
     Chaffle enthusiasts exclaim, "When you add butter and syrup, they taste just like regular waffles!!" The Mister was skeptical from the get-go. He said, "Okay, but if you put butter and syrup on a hubcap it can taste like a waffle! And when was the last time they had an actual waffle?" But, I tried The Chaffle anyway, and it was just "okay." That is to say they aren't my favorite.  The chaffle concept would probably work better (my opinion) in a savory application like garlic bread. But there I was, wanting a better waffle that wouldn't bite me back.
     And then I remembered, "Oopsie!"
     The "Oopsie roll" was invented by mistake. The creator, Nancy M. (and someone correct me if I'm wrong on that), was following the Atkins diet. Atkins had a recipe for a low-carb bread substitute they christened the "Revolution Roll (because Atkins was a diet "revolution")." The Revolution Roll was made with eggs and cottage cheese. Nancy, though, misread the recipe and used cream cheese. Oopsie! But, it worked, and worked so well that history was made!
     The Oopsie roll is now also known as "cloud bread" or "keto bread." It is soft and bread-like, and holds up well as a sandwich or burger bun. So, I whipped up a batch, but instead of baking them in the oven, I scraped the batter into a standard waffle iron.
     I even impressed myself. The Oopsie Waffle was superior to the Chaffle in every way.
I made 4, ate two, and had the other two for breakfast the next day, reheating them in a standard toaster, and they were terrific!
     I told my sisters about my waffle adventures, and they were inspired. One made "cloud bread breakfast sandwiches," and "cloud bread cinnamon rolls." Another baked standard cloud bread but seasoned them with cajun spice blend.
     Another sister just said, "You all are going crazy!!"



All were declared successful! January 27th is now to be known as "Cloud Bread Day!"

        Cloud Bread/Oopsie Roll/Keto Bread
3 eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. Cream of tartar (not essential)
3 oz cream cheese (my sister substituted 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and it worked beautifully)
For waffles, I added:
1 tbsp sugar or equivalent sweetner
2 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and cream cheese (or yogurt). Add sweetener, flour, and vanilla if desired.
Fold yolk mixture into beaten whites.
For waffles, scrape batter into a hot waffle iron, following directions for the particular machine. Makes 1 batch of 4 standard sized waffles.
For bread, preheat oven to 300. Divide batter into 6 mounds on a cookie sheet, lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Bake 30 minutes.  Cool, and store in a covered container.

Comments

Popular Posts