Rootbeer Pulled Pork and Barbeque Sauce

     Independence Day was my grandmother's birthday. Maman was born July 4, 1896. She was raised in Uptown New Orleans and spoke only French until she started elementary school.
     My mom and her sisters spoke French at home as well. As adults, whenever they spoke to each other on the phone they would lapse into French so we kids would not know what they were saying!
     Every July 4th, my aunt would bake a red, white, and blue "flag cake" for Maman, and my dad and uncles would man the barbeque. Maman really did not like the fanfare, but she loved family gatherings.
     These days, we still attempt to get family members together on Independence Day. We are spread far and wide so family gatherings are significantly smaller affairs. Flag cake is not usually part of the menu anymore, but barbeque is always popular!
     Everyone has their own idea about what makes barbeque great. The Mister, in my opinion, is a master at the grill and smoker. He has it down to a science!
     I disagree with him, though, on sauce. His taste runs too heavy for me. I like everything in balance. None of the commercially available products appealed to me, so I did some research and made my own.
     I searched my cookbook collection and online. I read dozens of recipes, took the best parts of them, and put together a sauce we call "Harvey-Q." It is just slightly sweet, tangy, and with a little spicy garlic kick. I use it for pulled pork, but really, it goes with burgers just as well.
     The pulled pork starts as a 5-7 lb bone-in pork shoulder, or, "Boston Butt." My granddaughter loves saying "Boston butt (giggle)!" It has nothing at all to do with the back end. Little known fact: a "butt" refers to the barrel certain cuts of meat were stored in. There is even a thing called a "butt load," but that has to do with wine.
     I take a Boston butt, rub it down with salt, pepper, and garlic, and put it in a slow cooker with 12 ounces of rootbeer and 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke, cover, and let it go on low heat 8-10 hours, or overnight.  It literally falls apart. Remove all but 1 cup of the remaining liquid, along with the bone and any excess fat, and shred the meat using 2 forks. Add half a batch of sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. We serve it on buns with extra sauce and coleslaw.
                                   

                           
                Harvey-Q Sauce
1 cup catsup
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
1/2 of a medium onion
1 tbsp Lousiana style hot sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 "shot" cold brew coffee extract
2 tsp liquid smoke
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a blender, whirl it together for a minute or two, taste for balance and adjust as needed. Too sweet? Add a bit more vinegar or onion. Too tangy? Add more catsup or sugar.  In a medium pot, on medium low heat, simmer the sauce on the stove 45 minutes to an hour, stirring frequently.



Comments

Popular Posts