Easy Trail Mix

     I went for a hike along the Clark Creek nature trail (in Pond, Mississippi) with my sister and her family.
                    Nature: 1, Mary: 0
     I am not in terrific shape, endurance-wise. I don't get out much.... I thought this would be more like a stroll in the woods. Wrong. It was a 5-mile "Level II" hike along a boulder studded creek, featuring a couple of steep inclines.




 
     It was a gorgeous day, and the site was beautiful, with a total of four trickling waterfalls along our route.
     My sister and her crew had no difficulty.  Along the way, they periodically looked back to make sure I was still moving, and not on the ground clutching my chest. My brother-in-law was particularly solicitous, offerring his arm as support during arduous sections.
     The hike was part of an organized outing, led by experienced guides who provided a picnic lunch half way through. We brought our own snacks and bottled water. Thank God for the convenience of bottled water!
     For my snack, I put together an easy trail mix. It is full of crunchy nuts and satisfying sweet/tart dried cranberries, as well as soul enriching bits of chocolate. Another plus: it's not a sticky mess! It really helped keep me going. I'm going to make more for my break at work!

                              Easy Trail Mix
In a 1 quart container, mix 1/2 cup each:
Mixed nuts (I had a "Heart Healthy" mix in my pantry, with peanuts, almonds, and pistachios)
Roasted pumpkin seeds
Whole almonds
Dried cranberries
M & M's (Thanks, Meaghan!)

Close the container and shake to combine. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Comments

Popular Posts